Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What's a Title?

I haven't written for a while. I'm not sure why except that life is busy and sometimes I feel all I write is jut gibberish anyway so why subject the one person that reads this blog to all that gibberish? Who is the one person? I'm not sure... possibly just me. I started thinking about my running and the slow-as-molasses pace I've acquired over the past 8 months. I was never fast, mind you, just faster than I am now. I was also thinking about my weight and how that is most probably the thing that is MOST responsible for my running demise. Yes, I'm 10 lbs heavier now than I was in September of last year. Truly my goal is to be 20 lbs lighter than I am now but then. I still have a long way to go as I've been on this 'diet' for 6 weeks now and haven't lost an ounce according to my scale. Now, could I be building more muscle mass now that I'm actually working out again? Yes. Time will tell.

Bringing this back around to running -- it's been said that for every pound you lose you gain time in running. That makes sense.... less mass to carry adds up in every distance. I fiddled around with a calculator that figures out what you'd run a race in if you gained or lost weight projected off of a known race time and weight. I plugged my marathon time of 3:57:48 in there and my weight two years ago... which is 8 lbs less than I am now and it predicted the BEST I could do in my current shape if I'm at the same fitness level as then would be a 4:07. Now, I'm no where near the same fitness level I was then so I'm thinking the best I could do right now would be sub-5. I still have 18 weeks & 5 days left to go though..... not really a lot of time. I need to buckle down and when I say buckle down I really mean buckle down. I'm a procrastinator by nature but now is not the time to procrastinate. I know marathon training time is NOT the time to focus on weight-loss. That being said, I certainly can't carry all this extra baggage across ANY finish line and be proud.

This picture is of me last August doing Hood to Coast relay. I look pudgy, yes, but man... look at those strong legs. I want those again!



I just need to focus everyday on being a strong, happy, confident person that is a runner. I should not, nor can I be ashamed of my body to the point it makes me not want to go run.

The title I will have is RUNNER.

2 comments:

Misty said...

As for "every pound you lose..." I agree. I am MUCH slower now on the soccer field. My joints are definitely not the same so tomorrow morning will be interesting and I'll have to see how my body holds up! =)

Sherri said...

I took that cute picture! What a fun trip. You will get where you want to be, you are so strong!