Monday, May 26, 2008

Old Highway

There is an old highway that runs by my house. It's a hilly little highway.... but it's a good one to run on... when there is no traffic.

I haven't run on this road for quite a while. The hills were intimidating me again. Today I was out of time to dive to a less-hilly, more flat section of town so up the road I went.

I am still working my endurance back up and am adding as much mileage as quickly as I can without risking injury, so I've been doing a run/walk method. Today was run 11 minutes, walk 2 minutes then for all the other segments it was a run 9 minute/walk 2 minute schedule. This worked well although it seemed I was walking more of the downhill sections and running ALL of the up hill sections.

The weather was nice this morning -- overcast and sprinkling a bit, but not enough to get really wet. I did the 9 mile route in 1:32:30 which is a 10:16 pace. For reference, even when I'm in great shape these hills kick my butt and I'm around a 9:30 - 10 pace. I have run 20 miles down this road at a 9 pace but all the hills give way to flat road in the later miles making it easier to make up some time. I'm fairly happy with my progress thus far and hope to continue to see some improvement in the coming months.

Elevation:



S

No comments: