Wednesday, June 04, 2008

out and backs

Today I did 9 miles... out and back. I felt really stiff the entire time, like I was hardly moving yet every time I looked at my watch expecting to see 11's I saw 9:15s or so. Yeah, not really quick, but it wasn't slow as molasses like it felt. I'm getting over 'something' - a bad cold or semi-flu... not sure what but it could have been that. Also, I did some weight training yesterday and my calves have been aching all day today so I know that didn't help.

I was around mile 7 or so and I saw someone who yelled out my name. I didn't recognize him at first and then he said -- "hey, it's Bruce". I realized who it was. It's a buddy of a guy who's wife I used to run with. I had talked to these guys (three of them who ran together) a couple years ago and talked them in to qualifying for the Marathon Maniacs. They were 2 - 3 marathon a year runners and now they hit almost one a month. I realized I've spread the running/marathon disease to a few people. Along with these three guys, I've encouraged two runners from my YMCA group to qualify for the Marathon Maniacs, and one co-worker - who I encouraged to do her first marathon and she just keeps kicking them out and she has also qualified for the Manaics.... that's 6 Maniacs. My friend Shelly is a Maniac too, but I'm not sure I can say I influenced her. It was Chicago that did her in... she ran that awfully hot race last year and then decided she needed a re-take. Anyway, I guess where I'm going with this is it's really nice to be out running, struggling your butt away - wondering why you do this, and then someone sees you and lights up and is excited to see and greet you - you then realize you've really made some differences in other people's lives.

Running is good for your soul -- it's good for friendship -- and it's always nice when you're on the return from an out and back.

6 comments:

Heather said...

You are the #1 reason I started running, and I so appreciate your motivation and can do attitude!

You really are a natural born coach and leader!

Sherri said...

What about me over here?

I would still be running my 3 mile loop it was not for you. I have told you a million times but one more will not hurt. I appreiate your wisdom, your kindess and your drive to help me along. You are still helping me and I totally appreicate it. OUr friendship has grown through running. Your the best :)

Andy and Teresa said...

Hey Shell,

Popping into your blog to see how your leg is doing and YAY!!! I'm so excited to see you pumping out a 9 miler! Amazing to have gone from broken leg to this in just a few months. I hope things continue to heal nicely and maybe I'll check in again before too long. PS -- I love getting your family updates. The girls are adorable.

And you've definitely influenced many, many people to take up marathoning.

Lori said...

I'm tagging you Shel, with the 5 running questions. If you don't have time, no sweat. But I'd like to read your responses. :)

(I'm suppose to tag 5 people) and as I was told, "Congratulations, but no prizes. ;)
Lori

rr said...

Shell, you inspire a lot of us. I met you long before I even considered doing a marathon, and now I spit out 3 a year. Nice pace today, BTW..

Lori said...

Oh--I forgot to tell you--see my blog for details on the questions.--if you have the time to do it.
Hope your weekend is going well.
Lori