Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I've been tagged!!

I was tagged by my new friend Lori -- AKA Toughnoodles. She came across my blog just a little while ago after I'd started posting a bit more regularly and I truly enjoy reading hers as well.

1- How would you describe your running 10 years ago?

10 years ago my running would be categorized as non-existent. I didn't run. I dabbled in running during college, but it was more like run a mile or two every month or so. I mtn. biked and snow skied a lot and that's it. I started running 9 years ago this December. I signed up with Team in Training - the Leukemia Society's running group and decided to run the Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon in Anchorage - June of 2000. That experience changed my life. I ended up run/walking my first marathon in 6:01:01 -- my goal was 6 or under as I was painfully slow and a new runner and WAY overweight. I ALMOST made that goal, but it was the process that was life-changing.

2-What is your best and worst run/race experience?

BEST: Probably the marathons that go well. All of them. Capital City Marathon 2003 - first post-pregnancy marathon after baby #2 and my first attempt at training myself. I took my time from that just over 6 hour time to a 4:45. I was really, really proud of myself. Skagit Flats Marathon 2005 my first SUB 4 marathon -- I was thrilled and came in at 3:59. Portland Marathon 2005 - a month after Skagit I did that one in 3:57 -- I was on a roll.

WORST: Injuries. After Portland 2005 I started training for an ultra and just plain and simple, over trained. I ended up with a cast for a really bad Achilles injury. Yes, it was bad enough to immobilize completely.
I kept with weights and cycling so I stayed in good enough shape to do three marathons in 2006.

September of 2007 I broke my tibia at a boyscout fundraising event and had to stop everything. I'm still trying to recover from that.... almost a year later, 20 lbs heavier and a bought with depression I think I'm finally winning.

3- Why do you run?

I run for my sanity and because it's something that I can do that I feel I'm good at. No, I'm not fast, but I don't let up with distance. I would LOVE to get that ultra under my belt. I've attempted one -- had a DNF. But, about 2/3 of the field dropped due to hail, sleet, and snow - so I was in good company.

When I run it lets me clear through my thoughts... it lets me think about God and His creations. It lets me think about my girls and my husband and I can work through a lot of life's problems when I run. It's all about clarity and sanity.

4- What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?

Probably the worst advice I was given when I first started out running was at Lady Foot Locker -- no, I don't go there anymore... but to a 'real' running store. Anyway, I was told I needed really, really supportive shoes if I was going to be covering 26.2 miles. Think shoes that would not bend, had no flex in them at all. It was like walking on boards. Um, no.... shin splints galore and a trip to Sound Sports in Seattle and I was cured.

Best: Start slow at race - don't go with the crowd - you'll pass them eventually.... and you know what? I usually do. I remember Seattle 2005 - I started really, really slow with a friend that was training for an ultra. I was aching to go faster but we kept our 10 min pace. At the 13 mile mark we kicked it up and our negative split was huge... and we passed a ton of people in the last miles and we felt GOOD.

BODY GLIDE -- everything! Body Glide on your toes prevents blisters!

5- Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.

Let's see -- I guess the one thing that might be surprising about a Marathon Maniac that has completed 16 marathons... would be that I don't consider myself a runner. I wish I did. I don't. I don't feel like I look the part so it's almost embarrassing to tell people I run. It's something I'm trying to get over.... I have a thyroid condition and will never be thin like most runners are. I'm strong and have great endurance but deep down I wish I looked the part.


Now I'm supposed to tag 5 other people so these are the people whose answers I'd really like to read: Rach, Andria, Sherri, Another Sherri, and I'm still trying to decide the 5th person!


Here are the rules guidelines: If you have been tagged, you will find your name at the end of this post. You should then, copy the rules (or your version of them), and the set of questions onto your blog post, provide your own answers, and then tag 5 new people.
Just to be sure that everyone tagged knows they have been invited to play, go to their blogs and leave them a special comment letting them know, and refer them to your blog for details. One more thing, once they've answered the questions on their own blog, they should come back to yours to tell you

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Ok, I am posting my comments right now on my blog! THanks for the tag