Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Seriously? Again!

It, again, has been way too long between my bloggings. A lot of stuff has been going on in life and I guess writing is just not top priority. Right now I should be working, but -- no -- I decided I needed to just write.

I'm anxious and conflicted about this coming weekend. I'll be meeting a bunch of girl-friends for TCM - Twin Cities Marathon - for those of you that are not in the know. :-) Anyway, I have not trained. It's been sporadic at best and my longest run, a month ago, was 14 miles and it kicked my butt. Seriously - I had a really hard time with it. Again, I'm going to do TCM to show Robb he did not win. He might have beaten me down a bit, but he will never have that control over me again. He will NOT win this one. I will get through the marathon. Might be a six-hour ordeal, but I'll do it. I'm not afraid of pain or time and I'm not going to be ashamed to come in 2 hours slower than my best. This will be my triumph - and mine alone. It'll be even sweeter than those sub-4 marathons I've done because this will have been completed during one of the hardest times of my life.

I just wanted to say thank you to all of my friends and my support. Seriously have been the best ever. I have so many cheerleaders and so many people who have watched and will be watching my girls as I go run this race. I could never do all of this - go through such a life changing experience without my good friends. These are the people that endure with you - that make it possible for you to reach for your dreams and goals. The people who are there prodding you to just get out the door when all you want to do is to sit and cry. Enduring and lasting friendships - Thank you - and you guys know who you are! I love you!

So as I embark on this new journey - a marathon that has had little to no training -- all I can say is I'll be focusing on the friends and loved ones in my life. You all will be pulling me through. You don't realize that, but you will. You'll be there whispering encouragment to me as I make it mile after mile. I can't wait to focus and meditate on all of my friends... we can do this together.

When I cross that finish line you will all be there with me. So, pat yourselves on the back -- you're in for a long and blistered run on Sunday. We will finish - we will endure - we will make it out even stronger than we entered. I'm a survivor thanks to all of you.

Love to you all,
Shel

5 comments:

rr said...

You will make it through Shell, just pace yourself, be easy on your body, and try to enjoy it. I'll be rooting for you from out here.. :) xoxo.

Anonymous said...

Shel, you have me in tears. You may not realize it but you have given just as much to your friends during this difficult time as we've given to you. You have shown strength, wisdom, integrity, and conviction through this entire ordeal and have left us all in awe and amazement. We hate that you've had to go through something as painful as you have, but no one could have handled it better. You've been an inspiration all around.

Can't wait to see you TOMORROW. Eeks!

Heth said...

Shel, I agree with what Sherri said. Even through such an ugly and difficult situation, you have shown so many character qualities. I am thrilled to get to meet you, you are a strong, strong woman.

Shel said...

See? this is exactly what I'm talking about. You guys are FANTASTIC! Yes, Heather and Sherri -- I get to see you guys tomorrow! Rach, I can only say I WISH you were going to be there but Kona is such a bigger priority! You'll be there in spirit though.

Thanks again you guys -- this should be a fun few days!
Shel

Lindsay said...

Shell...this is an amazing post. I hope you enjoy every mile of this marathon for all it symbolizes (if only you could wear the symbolic toe ring...perhaps tie it to your shoe!?!) I totally agree with the others..you have amazed many people with your grace and dignity through all this.

I'll be thinking of you on Sunday! L